Saskatchewan raises VLT commission rate for operators

The government of Saskatchewan’s 2022-23 Budget has announced that video lottery terminal (VLT) site operators in the province will receive an increased VLT commission.

VLT site operators currently receive 15 per cent of net sales as a commission, with the remaining 85 per cent going to the province. That rate will be raised to 18 per cent effective April 4, 2022, as part of the 2022-23 Budget.

The commissions are paid in recognition of site operators providing space and electricity for VLTs, paying out prizes, emptying cashboxes, and cleaning the machines.

Total commissions are forecast to rise from $33.3 million to nearly $40.0 million with this increase in a move the government says will put that $6.7 million difference in revenue from VLTs “into the pockets of bar and restaurant owners.”


You might also like