Some Ontario casinos permitted to reopen in Stage 3
July 14, 2020
The Government of Ontario has announced as part of its Stage 3 reopening plan it is permitting casinos and charitable gaming centres in certain regions to reopen. These facilities have been closed since March 16-17, 2020.
The re-opening of these facilities is subject to the following restrictions:
- A maximum of 50 customers in the gaming establishment at any given time
- A requirement that all persons on-site adhere to two metre physical distancing
- For eligible casinos, no table games at this time
This Stage 3 reopening is consistent with the province’s regional approach it took during Stage 2. Eligible casinos and charitable gaming centres have been selected on the basis of location and risk, subject to the advice of public health officials.
Eligible casinos include:
- All casinos in the East Bundle (Kawartha, Belleville, Peterborough and Thousand Islands) and some in the West GTA Bundle (Brantford and Grand River) The service provider for these gaming bundles is Great Canadian Gaming Corporation.
- Most casinos in the Southwest Bundle (Clinton, Hanover, Woodstock, Chatham, London), and all casinos in the North Bundle (Sault Ste. Marie, Sudbury, Thunder Bay) and Central Bundle (Rama and Innisfil). The service provider for these gaming bundles is Gateway Casinos and Entertainment.
- Rideau Carleton Casino in Ottawa. The service provider for this gaming bundle is HR Ottawa.
For casinos and charitable gaming centres, reopening is contingent on having a safety plan for the site (which must include mandatory use of masks or face coverings for customers), reviewed by an appropriate expert, and submitted to the regulator, the Alcohol and Gaming Commission of Ontario (AGCO).
Reopening dates for eligible casino and charitable gaming centres will be set by the service providers and communicated by them. The specific reopening date for each gaming site will vary depending on a site’s readiness and commercial viability to operate under the mandatory restrictions.